Wednesday, June 9, 2010

MINI ORGASMS


The other week, I was lamenting the - in my opinion - failed concept of XIV Michael Mina. Now, there is proof that the formula 'big name chef X big name interior designer' can be much more than just a marketing catch. Bazaar, like XIV, a child of the SBE Restaurant Group, and also designed by the omnipresent Philippe Starck - is fabulous! I felt like living the magic of a fun and stylish wonderland.


And the food was right up my alley. I've always loved the concept of tapas, eating tons of small dishes, trying this and then this and this, and oh, maybe that. Chef José Andrés creates small dishes with modern tools of liquid nitrogen and organic emulsifiers, but never gets lost in gimmickry. He wisely keeps his focus on great products, the foundation of every great dish. The results are equally playful and delicious, 'like mini orgasms' as my friend visiting from New York moaned between two tapas dishes. I especially loved the cotton candy foie gras in the shape of a lollipop, the ethereal, airy Philly cheesesteak and the sensual modern/traditional olives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 
Share