Thursday, July 1, 2010

DAIRY QUEEN


Holy moly - I am on a dairy free diet. Me. Above all. Do you have any idea how many years I have been bitching about all those nut cases, who are on some whatever diet? I am a firm believer of the no fuss approach when it comes to eating. My credo: eat everything, just be careful with processed foods, sugar, refined grains and abundant animal fats. That's all. I always felt so proud being that super sensible, down-to-earth person. And, of course, every time I was asked about any food intolerances - god forbid allergies -, I snobbishly replied "I eat everything! (what are you thinking?)" Enters my new health hero, Dr. I-can-cure-you-from-your-migraines. Ha! I didn't believe him, of course, but he did. And I loved him because apart from healing me, he never interfered with my eating habits. Until a couple of weeks ago. "You have a damp/heat condition", he declared. "I want you to stop eating dairy for at least three months." At this point he wasn't even blinking. I was about to laugh his prescription off, when I remembered that this genius got rid of those nasty migraines after all, and I had no choice but to trust him on hundred percent. I fake smiled "no problem!". On my way back home I stopped at the grocery store for some soy milk (the first in my life), since I absolutely need my early morning cappuccino. Can't live without it. It was disgusting, but I bravely drank it hoping the damp/heat condition would vanish quickly and effectively. Then I realized I couldn't eat my breakfast yogurt, I totally had forgotten that this was considered a dairy product. Hmm. Pancakes or the bread with a think layer of honeyed ricotta I like as a breakfast alternative, didn't go either. I settled for berries floating in soy milk. The day went on like that. No quiche, no cheese, no pudding, no creamed vegetables. Whatever came into my mind had some dairy in it. Arrrggh! Well, in the end it wasn't that bad. I now really like soy milk cappuccino, learned about coconut milk and silken tofu, and cheat a little. So I am good. Just too bad my friend from New York is staying at my house for over two months. When I happily proposed my dairy-free delicacies like pasta or homemade tarte, she declined. Her health guru had recommended her a gluten-free diet. Why on earth did I ever betray my principles and give up my wonderful so-not-complicated-and-no-fuss-diet? I am so doomed.

2 comments:

  1. I lasted about three days on a gluten free, dairy free diet!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

 
Share