Monday, July 5, 2010

AN INTERESTING CONVERSATION


After it wasn't clear to me whether the stalls at Gigi's Farmers Market in Glendale I visited last Saturday were really operated by local (meaning within a two hundred mile zone of L.A.) family farmers, I decided to get some facts from the girl sitting at the concierge table.
Me: "Excuse me, I was wondering if the stands here at Gigi's Farmers Market are operated by local family farmers?"
She, looking at me with a puzzled expression: "Well, the bakery just behind you, they bake their own ...."
Me: "I am talking about produce. Fruit, vegetables."
She with a blank stare: "What do you mean exactly?"
Me: "Are the stands at this farmers market operated by local family farmers?"
She: "The products are all California certified."
Me: "Okay..."
She: "All the products sold here are grown in California."
Me: "Okay..."
She: "I mean, they are not grown out of state or abroad."
Me: "But what about the farmers? Are those family farm operated stands? Or does Gigi's buy wholesale and sell it here at stands?"
She: "I do not understand what it is exactly, you want to know?"
Me: "You know, it is important to me to know if the produce sold here comes directly from the farmers..."
She (eagerly): "I can assure you, every single vegetable or fruit has been grown on a farm."
Me: "..."

2 comments:

  1. This farmer's market is a joke... designed by the Americana people to be cool or whatever... don't support it. You can tell by all stands having the same black cloth... Go to the real ones, i.e. Silverlake, Hollywood etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ... you make me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

 
Share