Tuesday, May 18, 2010

CECCONI, MY LOVE


I am now a member of the exclusive circle "Friends of Cecconi's". I must have either unknowingly applied for a membership or something. Anyway, I have no idea why they think I am worthy of such an honor, but they mailed me a key chain with their sky blue logo entitling me of a "variety of benefits", including invitations to special events. Whoo hoo! Well, what they got right is that I really like going to the WeHo sister of the London institution. But by no means am I a mover or shaker or one of those very important personalities in town. Thank you, amici at Cecconi's, to make me feel like one for a change! The letter along with the key chain was signed by Marino Monferrato (general manager) and Andrea Cavaliere (executive chef). Sounds like they are real Italians (they are, I checked), and that's great, since they don't have to pretend. And they don't. The menu is clearly Californian, but with an Italian twist, or better, approach, meaning that their focus is on fresh, high-quality market ingredients and a simple preparation. The food is good, plain good. Nothing more, nothing less. Same with the pricing, not cheap, not expensive. There is a casual self-confidence about the whole thing that is truly wonderful. Besides, it is a great place to hang out. After all, the interior design was created by the super talented London-based Martin Brudnizki. That guy just knows how to put things together with an astonishing ease. He always makes me wonder if the first he did after being born, was to redecorate hisnursery.  Cecconi's is sophisticated without any stiffness, stylish and warm. It feels like the better version of home. And even those over the top Hollywood/Beverly Hills types blend in without being an annoying distraction. Last time I had the grilled octopus with lemon, capers and olives. It was light, refreshing and delicious, maybe the octopus could have been a little more tender. As an entrĂ©e I went for the Barolo braised short-rib with the truffle mashed potato. Comfort food at its best. I wasn't too crazy about the profiteroles with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. They tasted a little like cardboard, just like those mass produced you find in the freezer at Smart & Final's. And the vanilla ice cream was on the bland side. But hey, nobody is perfect! I still love you, my friends. Woo, I am sooo nice! Isn't it amazing what a little friendship can do?







  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 
Share